Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Kingfishers are Aptly Named

Recently I was fishing a branch of the willow river in St. Croix County, Wisconsin. I was joined in my pursuit of a breakfast of fish by a kingfisher. He perched in the tree above my little hole and patiently waited. I had nearly forgotten about my like minded avian friend when suddenly... A cannonball dropped from the tree and entered the shallow riffles above the hole.

It emerged from the water with a fish in its beak. It flew downriver laughing at me as it soared by. I have seen kingfishers do their thing before, but never in such close quarters.






I stumbled upon this article (click on the image above to access it) with some beautiful photography of kingfishers in Europe fishing for meals in cold clear water. I'm a bit jealous as a matter of fact, this high speed photography is really something. Enjoy it.


No comments:

Post a Comment