Saturday, October 24, 2009

How to Tie an Egg Sucking Leech : Salmon Fishing Fly

I'm heading up to the Milwaukee River tomorrow and have been tying flies for a friend and I to use for King Salmon and Steelhead. A Great Lakes favorite, the Egg Sucking Leech, or ESL is among the flies I tied today.

Here is a step by step recipe. It should be noted that I am by no means an expert at tying flies. I've only been doing it a couple of years and most of the knowledge I have acquired has been through my own practice.

I start with a size 1-4 Long Shank Salmon Hook, I wrap the length of it with one or 2 layers of lead wire.

Next I wrap in my black floss to secure the lead and wrap in a generous amount of long black Marabou.

After the Marabou is wrapped on I turn on large black Chenille. I wrap it down the shank but stop it before the end so I have enough room to tie on the yarn.

The last step is wrapping on yarn, I use Atlas Egg Yarn, I thin it out and wrap it around a bunch of times instead of just swinging the whole thickness onto the shank once or twice.

Whip finish and add the head cement and there you have it, a time tested fall salmon pattern.

The Egg Sucking Leech

No comments:

Post a Comment