Saturday, August 15, 2009

President Obama Goes Fly Fishing in Montana Today

Last year, when Barack Obama was on his campaign tour he made a stop in Milwaukee in the height of the Salmon run. I joked with my friends that I'd love to show him how beautiful the Milwaukee river was, in a canyon of yellow maple trees in full color, with King Salmon around every bend. It turns out, he might have wanted to join me.

In an article in the Wall Street Journal today, Obama stated on the campaign trail he'd always wanted to try his hand at the great western sport of fly fishing. He will go out with a guide after his town hall meeting and do his best. Unfortunately the event will be closed to the media, but with it closed I suppose Mr. President will have a better chance at hooking a fish, I know from experience as a photographer that trout tend to scatter when you're tromping down the river with a tripod and a bunch of photography equipment.

Other political figures have picked up the fly rod and waded in to some cold water. These figures include George Bush Senior,

Of course there is the well known photograph of Dick Cheney, with the reflection of what some falsely to believe to be a naked woman in his glasses.

The one thing I know for sure, were there a good photograph of Obama swinging the fly rod, that would be a photo I'd put on my wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment