Friday, April 15, 2011

Chicago Kayak Fishing Report: Coho Salmon - 04/12/2011

I got the idea in my head just as I was taking a bite of my sandwich at lunch.  It's sunny out, the sun doesn't set until 7:30 these days... I bet if I went straight home after work, whipped on my wetsuit and threw the Kayak on the car I'd have a real shot at getting in a couple of miles before it got dark.

I did just that, got home, checked the wave forecasts, 1-2 feet - easy paddling waves on the big lake.

Turned out to be glass calm, barely even a swell.

5:00, left work.
5:12, got home and checked the waves.
5:25, wetsuit on and car pulled around.
5:30, Kayak on the car.



5:50, Parked at Montrose beach ready to embark.



6:00, one rod strung up after the long drag across the grass and beach.



7:30, out of the water with plenty of time to get her back on the car in the light.

I didn't land anything, but I got to do some good exploration and really used the night as a test to see if it's possible to hit the water after work.  If these 10-14 foot waves ever subside I'll be right back at it, this time with the battleship in full attack mode.

1 comment:

  1. I almost thought you gave up on blogging, since there were no new posts for quite a while whenever I checked your site.
    Sounds like you really had a great time paddling even without catching anything. Great pictures and it looks like the Great Lake is smoother than our bay down here right now. We are having unusual strong winds almost daily. Even inland, about 80mls from the coast we are having winds of 25mph - add another 10-15mph at the coast.
    Tight Lines
    Rick

    ReplyDelete